Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Secrets are revealed

Last spring my wife and I were in Atlanta to attend the wedding of a friend.  During some free time we toured the Coca Cola museum there.  It was fascinating to hear the story of how the popular soft drink began and spread successfully around the globe.  One of the keys to their success has been the careful protection of the "secret formula" used to make Coke.  They have successfully shielded the recipe from their competition and, in so doing, have held onto a large share of the cola business.  In yesterday's news I saw that a woman who worked in the Coca Cola headquarters had been arrested and charged with trying to sell one of the secret Coke formulas (to a new drink) to Pepsi Cola.  Fortunately, the folks at Pepsi would have none of that (I'm sure they don't want to get into an war of espionage with their biggest competitor).  It's interesting to contrast the Coca Cola strategy with the Lord's approach.  While Coke has won the world over by keeping a secret, the Lord is redeeming the world by revealing His special plan for man.  It seems the Lord is interested in men and women who will eagerly seek Him out, to know, to learn, to hear, to follow, to reflect Him. 
 
Early in Psalm 25 David entreats the Lord:
 4 Shew me thy ways, O LORD; teach me thy paths.  5 Lead me in thy truth, and teach me: for thou art the God of my salvation; on thee do I wait all the day.
 
We see the Lord's answer later in the same Psalm:
 
14 The secret of the LORD is with them that fear him; and he will shew them his covenant.
 
 
blessings,
 
Rob Smith

1 comment:

  1. 1 Peter 1:12 these things which now have been announced to you through those who preached the gospel to you by the Holy Spirit sent from heaven-- things into which angels long to look.

    Amazing that God would keep things secret from Angels and then reveal them to us!

    Great thought and illustration Rob!
    Jon

    ReplyDelete