Sunday, January 14, 2007

Two kinds of joy

I picked up a pizza tonight for my wife and I to share.  Just as I was walking up to our door I began thinking about that pizza with great anticipation.  I could almost taste the cheese, the sausage and the onions before I even opened the box.  It occurred to me that anticipating the pleasure of the pizza was something to enjoy...almost as much as actually eating the pizza.  Our relationship with the Lord has these two kinds of joy, the joy of anticipation and the joy of fulfillment.  We sometimes experience the blessing of answered prayers, the very real presence of the Holy Spirit to encourage, comfort and reveal truth.  We can sometimes see how the Lord is reaching and helping friends and family.  The other kind of joy lies in our faith, which provides hope for that which is to come.  We can almost taste the time when nothing stands between us and the Lord.  Hebrews 11:1 says: "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see."    In that same chapter we are given many examples of people who lived in anticipation of the Lord.  Verse 13 tells us:  "All these people were still living by faith when they died. They did not receive the things promised; they only saw them and welcomed them from a distance."
 
We can enjoy the Lord now and savor the completion of our relationship, as well.
 
blessings,
 
Rob Smith
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment