Saturday, January 20, 2007

A Winter Field

At the front of my development is a farmer's field.  Over the years I have seen pumpkins, beans, and corn grow there.  Sometimes it will lay dormant even during growing seasons.  This morning, as I passed the bare and cold ground, I noticed the pleasing contour of the ground itself and wondered what crop I might see come up in the spring.  It occurred to me that a winter field is all about potential.  From the same soil many different types of food or useful plants can come.  As we live our lives, we can produce varied kinds of growth and products as well.  I think sometimes we define ourselves too narrowly.  We might think,"I could never share my faith" or "I can't see myself on the mission field" or "There's nothing special about what I can do for the Lord".  I think we need to remember that we are soil, full of potential.  With the right seed from the Lord, enough sun, water (and weed killer) we can yield interesting and useful crops.  And sometimes we need to be dormant and replenish our potential, as well.
 
Genesis 2:7 Then the LORD God formed man of dust from the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being.

 8 The LORD God planted a garden toward the east, in Eden; and there He placed the man whom He had formed.

 9 Out of the ground the LORD God caused to grow every tree that is pleasing to the sight and good for food;

You know, we and soil have a long history together!

 

blessings,

Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment