Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Signs of battle

My friend Bubba Farino is dead. We worshiped together years ago and Bubba built our house. He and his wife, Patty, lived in our neighborhood for a while and they had 5 children. Bubba was the most gifted evangelist I have ever known, personally. At his memorial service, yesterday, his oldest son shared that Bubba had sought to lead at least one person to Christ for salvation every day for a year....and, by the grace of God, he did! When they were out, as a family, he would routinely embarrass the kids by asking the waitress if she knew where she'd be if she died that day. His children would sometimes awaken early to hear their father worshipping the Lord in song and they studied, prayed and praised the Lord frequently as a family. Unfortunately, Bubba had a lifelong battle with addiction. This battle he ultimately lost and it cost him his marriage and daily contact with the family he loved so dearly. In recent years I would wonder at his life because of the amazing contrast of spiritual strength and human weakness. As I walked this morning I realized that his life was a clear reflection of the war that surrounds all of us. The war rages over the souls of every person. Bubba was like a highly skilled marine or ranger in that war. He was responsible for hundreds being saved, here and abroad on many travels. But, as someone shared yesterday in a private moment, the enemy targeted him with a fierce attack. I believe that is why Bubba has gone on now to be with the Jesus he loved so much. He was a casualty of war, after fighting with great passion and intensity for victory. I hope each of you has put your trust in Jesus. Bubba would want you to know that He is the only way to eternal life.

Joshua 14:11 I am still as strong today as the day Moses sent me out; I'm just as vigorous to go out to battle now as I was then. 12 Now give me this hill country that the LORD promised me that day.

My love to you, Bubba

blessings

Rob Smith
http://2daysthought.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment