Thursday, March 15, 2007

No separation

This past weekend my wife and I had the high privilege of baby-sitting our 14 month-old grandson, Peter, while his parents got away for a few days.  It was the first time they had been away from their son overnight.  We had a great time and received far more than we gave just to be with him.  When a child is young the parents must be very close at hand to make sure basic life needs are met and the child benefits also from the continual bath of love and nurture.  Surely such attention in the early days, months and years helps establish a sense of security in the child.  It occurred to me that this is something like the continual presence of our heavenly father in our lives, here, when no matter our age we are "young" from an eternal standpoint.  A child grows to independence in adulthood and a child of God grows to eventually walk in Heaven for eternity.  I think this is one reason why Jesus promised never to leave us.  It's not just to keep us from feelings of loneliness.  He's at work preparing us for the next dimension.  Our grandson Peter doesn't have a clue, yet, about the challenges of taking tests in school, paying taxes, working for a wage, or leading a family.  Through the constant presence and example of his parents, he will acquire the knowledge and grow, knowing that he is greatly loved and valued.  This is much the way it is with the Lord in our lives.
 
Isaiah 41:10
      Fear not, for I am with you;
      Be not dismayed, for I am your God.
      I will strengthen you,
      Yes, I will help you,
      I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.’
blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment