Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Don't walk alone

Have you noticed that there are two benefits to walking in fellowship with another believer?  Firstly, we are less prone to fall spiritually.  If we fall there is help to restore us.  Secondly, we have others to rejoice with as the Lord provides blessing, insight and help.  So we only need close Christian friends for two circumstances: (1) when life is not going well and (2) when life is going well.  We were designed to walk in fellowship because this life is a rugged training ground and much help and encouragement is needed.  We were also made to walk closely because in helping each other and rejoicing with each other we exercise spiritual gifts that foster our own growth.  In the wake of my recent bicycle accident I have been the recipient of bountiful love gifts of food, service and prayer.  I probably would survive without these gifts but I am so much the richer spiritually from so many expressions of love.  I know that I am not alone in my difficult time and I am being healed in body and refreshed in spirit.  Sometimes in life we don’t find ourselves walking in close fellowship with other believers.  We may be trying to ‘make our mark’ on the world.  But I would encourage us all to walk close enough to catch another who falls, or to be held if we fall, ourselves.

 

Ecclesiastes 4:

    8 There was a man all alone;
       he had neither son nor brother.
       There was no end to his toil,
       yet his eyes were not content with his wealth.
       "For whom am I toiling," he asked,
       "and why am I depriving myself of enjoyment?"
       This too is meaningless—
       a miserable business!

 9 Two are better than one,
       because they have a good return for their work:

 10 If one falls down,
       his friend can help him up.
       But pity the man who falls
       and has no one to help him up!

 11 Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm.
       But how can one keep warm alone?

 12 Though one may be overpowered,
       two can defend themselves.
       A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.

Blessings and thanks for helping me stand,

Rob Smith

 

No comments:

Post a Comment