Sunday, April 29, 2007

great expectations

Have you noticed that our efforts to succeed are closely associated with our expectations?  When we're young our parents generally have high expectations for us: in school, in sports, in social and community activities. This helps motivate us because we want to please those who are closest to us.  Some kids grow up without much parental involvement.  They find their expectations from other sources and, unfortunately, there are plenty of unhealthy ones in gangs or narrow minded cliques.  Reaching expectations gives us feedback to confirm our worth.  Later we tend to form our own "self-expectations" because we've developed a frame of reference for life that has its own definition of success...that gives the feedback we want.  My thought today is to consider what Jesus' expectations might be for us.  In one sense his natural expectations aren't too high.  Consider John 2:24-25 "But Jesus would not entrust himself to them, for he knew all men. He did not need man's testimony about man, for he knew what was in a man."  He certainly knows our sin nature well.  But we are encouraged that when we have repented and turned to Christ in faith there is a whole new set of possibilities and expectations for lives.  Consider John 14:11-13 "Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the miracles themselves. I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father."
 
It's great to know that the one who has such high expectations for us, also lives within us, and will do wonderful things that are beyond our wildest expectation.
 
Ephesians 3:20-21 Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever!  Amen.
 
blessings,
 
Rob Smith
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment