Thursday, May 3, 2007

the real you

Popular marketing offers countless products we can buy to improve ourselves.  Think about all the ads we see on fitness, weight loss, hair care, skin care and apparel.  When I had my accident a month ago I discovered that my body was almost like a "third person".  I found that my arm could shatter but that had no bearing on the "me" deep inside.  It has been more like a very important tool that I depend on has been damaged rather than "I've been damaged".  Same thing with the lacerations on my face.  The good thing is it has caused me to realize that those wounds and any possible scars can leave no mark on the "real me", which is deep inside.
The whole experience has reinforced the fact that our true identity, our personhood, is of a separate nature than the physical package we strut about in all day.  If I want to work on "a more beautiful me", I need to concentrate on this inner person, where heart and mind are engaged and the issues are weightier than a clear complexion and rippling muscle.
 
Matthew 10:28 Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell. 
 
Matthew 16:26 What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul?
 
Matthew 22:37 Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'
 
blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment