Monday, July 2, 2007

amazing bones

When I used to think of bones, I thought about skeletons and how the bones were the framework of the body... a place for muscles to attach and a way to give our bodies support.  That was the obvious purpose and that's about all I thought about it.  Recently, I have been challenged to look at bones a little closer.  I've been amazed to watch my broken arm heal and to see new bone growth occurring all around the shattered bones.  It hit me that my bones are living tissue, not just white building blocks, like some kind of Legos or Erector Set.  There is a lot more going on in their purpose and function than I had given them credit for.  Besides the obvious support role and protection for internal organs and brain, the skeleton is a storehouse for minerals like calcium and phosphorus.  It releases these as the body needs them to keep the body in chemical balance.  But the most amazing aspect of bones, to me, is that all red and white blood cells are produced inside our bones.  All the life-giving red blood cells that carry oxygen to the body, and all the white blood cells that defend the body from infection are also made in the bones. 
 
There is so much more to our bones than the obvious.  There is also a lot more to our personal worth than the obvious.  Buried within our framework, the Lord has designed qualities to bring life and protection from harm, just like the bones do.  We carry the presence and the message of Christ, which can bring life and protection from harm.  Just as the bones are more than hard objects to hang our skin on, our lives count for much more than their obvious outward appearance.  We carry life!
 
Job 10:10 Did you not pour me out like milk
       and curdle me like cheese,

 11 clothe me with skin and flesh
       and knit me together with bones and sinews?

 12 You gave me life and showed me kindness,
       and in your providence watched over my spirit.

blessings,

Rob Smith

http://2daysthought.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment