Sunday, August 26, 2007

Auto attitudes

 
Earlier today Shirley and I were in Newport News running some errands and on the way home we stopped for ice cream.  While there, I spied a business sign outside the Dairy Queen: "New Beginnings Body Shop".  What a great business name, I thought.  I remember my first car, a forest green 1968 Mercury Cougar XR7.  I was practically in love with the car and waxed it about once a week.  During the first winter I had the car I experienced a fender-bender on an icy road.  I felt personally wounded when I saw the sleek car with crumpled sheetmetal and busted headlights.  It truly did feel like a "New Beginning" when I picked up the car from O'Neill's Body Shop in my home town.  In fact, with its fresh paint, the car looked better than before the accident.  I also recalled another auto repair facility in Newport News that I used to pass on the way to the Shipyard each day: "Davis Alignment Center".  This was a place that specialized in one vital car repair:  wheel alignment.  Between the two stores I thought two important aspects of spiritual life were captured: "New Beginnings" is where we all start when we turn to Jesus and turn from our sin to begin our new life for eternity.  "Alignment" is what we need daily to bring our thoughts and ways in line with our Heavenly Father.
 
Romans 6:4 We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.
 
 
blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment