Sunday, August 12, 2007

faith healing

The last time I saw my orthopedist he said that part of my broken arm was not healing very fast.  He prescribed the purchase of a "bone healing system".  That sounded good to me.  After a few weeks the system was delivered.  It consists of a little strap that surrounds the arm and an electronic box a little larger than a pack of cigarettes.  The box generates ultrasonic energy through a disc in the strap around my arm.  I wear it for 40 minutes each night before I go to bed.  I was told by the health professional who delivered the system that the sound waves accelerate new bone growth and we should see results by the next time we visit the doctor in mid-September.  The only problem is...I can't feel anything happening when I turn the thing on.  It doesn't generate heat, make a sound, vibrate or even smell funny.  You push a button and big numbers countdown the 20 minute cycle (which I run twice).  Then I take off the strap and put everything away.  By the way, my share of the cost for this machine was several hundred dollars, a fraction of the total cost (insurance paid most).  I remain excited about using the device because my doctor has confidence in it, the girl who delivered it sang its praises (she's a nurse with some experience), and my physical therapist assured me that scientific studies show it really works.  I have faith that when I see the doctor we'll see progress, even though I don't really know how this thing works and I can't feel anything.
 
Our relationship with the Lord is somewhat similar.  When I feed from His word, or walk and talk with Him, or spend time in prayer I don't generally feel or hear or detect anything with the senses.  I'm convinced that the invisible energy I receive by the Holy Spirit is effective to clean me, fill me, heal me and guide me.  Often I'll look back after trusting Him through a difficult time and find that the evidence of His activity is obvious, even if I couldn't feel Him working at the time.
 
2 Corinthians 4:18 So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.
 
blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment