Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Frame of mind

It occurred to me at work yesterday that different kinds of tasks call for different attitudes or mindsets.  When I'm analyzing data and numbers my mind needs to be in a quantitative mode that looks for useful information in the numbers.  When I'm reading articles or written text to learn or discern useful information from words and paragraphs my mind needs to be in a verbal mode.  I've found that it's best for me to stay in one mode or the other for a block of time because it's efficient to apply the same mindset to a range of tasks rather than flipping back and forth frequently.  Apparently there is a gear shift we need to do as we prepare our mind for different tasks.  It seems we need to prepare our mind to handle the challenge it will face.  Similarly, I think we need to prepare our heart and mind to experience the Lord each day.  There is a "mind set" and a "heart set" that is open to exchanging communication with the Lord and that is receptive to gleaning meaning from His Word and that can enjoy His presence.  I've found that I just can't expect to barge right into my relationship with the Lord each day.  I need to incline my mind and open my heart to Him and prepare to interact with Him.  Those are the best times.  When I allow time to prepare before coming into His presence.
 
Proverbs 9:1 Wisdom has built her house;
                   she has hewn out its seven pillars.

                2 She has prepared her meat and mixed her wine; 
                   she has also set her table.

blessings,

Rob Smith

http://2daysthought.blogspot.com/

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment