Wednesday, August 15, 2007

going home

 
I remember being on a 7 month Navy cruise in Europe and the Mediterranean years ago.  I'd never really travelled abroad before and I enjoyed seeing all the different cultures with their distinctive foods, architecture, languages and cultural distinctives.  For the most part it was great...I especially liked the challenge of trying to connect with folks without being able to speak more than a few words that we both understood.  But everywhere I went just reinforced how much I loved my home country...the good old USA.  I couldn't wait to get back.  I especially missed the burgers and my little red convertible and a certain Michigan farm girl.  If I had to rank the countries of the world I would have given the US a 97 rating (out of 100) and the next best country would have been about 30.  One of the strangest experiences I had was going to Norway where all the girls seemed to be taller than me.  Having experienced the best made it less than difficult to leave the rest behind and go home. 
 
Jesus came from glory...from the direct presence of God, the Father, in Heaven.  He'd only known the sweet sinless perfection of that place before He came down to dwell with us for a brief time.  He experienced all that goes with humanity, including being tempted (though without falling to it).  Of course, after His victorious resurrection He went home to be by the Father once again.  I can't help but think that if we'd started in Heaven and then come to earth we would also long to go back also.  We may not have travelled to Heaven yet, but it helps to remind ourselves that the plan for our lives began in Heaven, that our days were numbered before we were born, that we have work to do on earth and that ultimately we will go to the One who conceived our lives.  In a very real sense, we won't be home until we make that trip!
 
Philippians 3:20-21 But there's far more to life for us. We're citizens of high heaven! We're waiting the arrival of the Savior, the Master, Jesus Christ, who will transform our earthy bodies into glorious bodies like his own. He'll make us beautiful and whole with the same powerful skill by which he is putting everything as it should be, under and around him.
 
blessings,
Rob Smith


 

No comments:

Post a Comment