Friday, August 10, 2007

The makeup of light

 
 
This evening I drove through a sunshower and spotted a gorgeous rainbow ahead.  It was so clear (and so apparently near) that I actually seemed to see where it started and ended!  I looked close but didn't spot any leprechauns or pots of gold at either end (I'm not sure which end the gold is supposed to be located at).  My son-in-law mentioned to me later that he's always been struck with the seven colors inside the rainbow because seven is associated with perfection and God's perfect covenant with us.   Normally we don't see light...we see because of light.  Light is like a servant.  It reveals by shining in purity on reflected surfaces, but it doesn't demand to be seen.  God is the author of light and demonstrates his authority by breaking light into its beautiful pieces within the rainbow.  In a sense, when we see a rainbow we are getting a glimpse of the Creator's laboratory and we see how He combined colors to form clear and brilliant light.  If they weren't combined just so the world might have a red or greenish tint.  Our Lord is just that way.  He shines in purity on, within and all around us but He doesn't always make His presence obvious.  We know from the rainbow that our pure Lord of light is here.  His colorful nature blends to form perfectly clear energy that lights our way.  The rainbow reminds us that God is here and He'll never leave because He is just like light.  But we can choose to see Him in the light!
 
Ezekiel 1:28 Like the appearance of a rainbow in the clouds on a rainy day, so was the radiance around him.  This was the appearance of the likeness of the glory of the LORD. When I saw it, I fell facedown, and I heard the voice of one speaking.
 
blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment