Thursday, August 30, 2007

Play on

 
I love my morning walks.  It's such a peaceful time and all the earth around seems to be waking up.  The sky seems sleepy and reluctant to arise, until the glaring sun coaxes it out of bed.  This morning I noticed a small group of birds cavorting in the air over a soccer field.  It was obvious that they were chasing each other and, almost like a World War I dogfight, they would bend and twist sharply in flight to get the advantage over each other.  They truly were enjoying flight and they were definitely playing.  It occurred to me that, among all the things God made us for, He made us to play....to enjoy each other and to have fun in a lighthearted way.  Even the birds play, and they don't even know where their next meal is coming from.  We humans start off playing a lot...kids just naturally know how to turn routine into fantasy and fun.  When I'm outside with my grandson Peter (20 months old), all I have to do is look at him and he smiles broadly and runs away, inviting me to chase him.  We can get a little stiff as our older bones stiffen but I think it's healthy to rediscover play.  As adults we tend to take life and living just a little too seriously sometimes.  If you think about it, the serious work has been done by Father and Son so that the Holy Ghost can indwell us and among the blessings of our freedom we can celebrate life...and play!
 
Malachi 4:2 But for you who revere my name, the sun of righteousness will rise with healing in its wings. And you will go out and leap like calves released from the stall.
 
blessings (go out and play)!
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment