Wednesday, August 22, 2007

quiet your heart when you're stuck in the mud

 
Last night I went out to see daily progress on the house we're building.  I like to go every night to catch up on what's happened.  But last night was different.  Just as I approached the house the sky erupted in an angry storm with torrential rain and lightning assaulting and thunder belching.  Eventually I pulled into the mud and gravel driveway to make a dash for the garage.  After surveying the construction progress (difficult in the dim lighting) I attempted to back out of the driveway only to get stuck, burying one of the front driving tires in the soupy mud.  I tried to rock the car out and just worked deeper into the muck.  I tried driving out on a board but the tire was too deep to climb out.  I finally surrendered and called AAA to get pulled out.  I had to wait about two hours for the truck to show.  During that time I started to get out of rest.  I didn't want to be stuck there.  I didn't like being taken out of my routine.  I didn't like losing the freedom to go when and where I wanted to go.  Then I realized that if I weren't stuck in the mud I'd be watching TV.  I decided to use the time in a different way and rest for a while and pray for a while and even go for a little walk.  It turned out to be a good time and when the tow truck showed up I actually had a joyful heart.  I had to quiet my heart even though I was stuck in the mud.
 
Job 11:18 You will be secure, because there is hope; you will look about you and take your rest in safety.
 
blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment