Wednesday, August 15, 2007

support and resistance

 
I have found that exercising and swimming in the recreation center swimming pool is a great way to help my broken arm regain strength and mobility.  I'm starting to think that swimming will become the primary exercise I do when I'm fully healed.  The water supports my arm with buoyant force and helps build strength through water resistance.  So I can move my arm through a wider range of motion since the water holds the arm up and as I exercise the arm by moving it through the water, the resistance acts something like weights.  After a workout, several minutes in the pool's hot tub are a great treat!  In a way this pool therapy is like the Lord's care.  He provides continual support for every aspect of my life and He holds me up, but he's also interested in developing character and producing fruit.  So He brings helpful "resistance" and strength training into the program.  As I exercise in the pool I'm mindful of the young lifeguards that watch us.  The Lord is watching us too and if we start to go under or flounder, He'll pull us up just as the lifeguards would in the water.  I think I'll stay on this training program for life!
 
2 Samuel 22:18 He rescued me from my powerful enemy, 
                       from my foes, who were too strong for me.

                       19 They confronted me in the day of my disaster, 
                           but the LORD was my support.

                       20 He brought me out into a spacious place; 
                          he rescued me because he delighted in me.

blessings,

Rob Smith

http://2daysthought.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment