Saturday, September 1, 2007

laying down the law

We are a country that esteems law.  Rather than a monarchy, where a king can rule by his whim,  we are ruled by laws, enacted by our elected representatives.  I don't know how many laws I'm responsible to follow but there are layers of them: local, state and federal.  That's really almost the whole purpose of our legislatures...to pass laws.  I was thinking about it today and, apart from many of the traffic laws or rules, I don't know many of the laws that I'm responsible to live under.  I don't think we even spend time learning most of the laws that are passed.  You'd think that it would be important to teach the laws if we're supposed to follow them.  Somehow the system works anyhow (debatable, I know...).  It occurred to me that as long as we have a strong moral compass that permeates our culture, where right and wrong are inherently known (just as East is opposite West on a compass) we probably follow 99% of the laws that govern our personal behavior.  It is that common underpinning of conscience guided by a true sense of right and wrong that really holds our society together.  So what provides this input to our personal moral compasses.  I believe we are hard-wired to heaven and have an inborn sense of right just as we really have an inborn sense of the reality of God.  Romans, chapter 1  tells us: 20-22  "For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.  For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools."
 
I can't imagine what it would be like to have to carry a thick manual of rules with me to direct my every action and make every decision.  The conscience linked to God makes living in freedom possible.  But we also see from the Romans passage that it is possible to know God (or know of God or about God) without properly acknowledging Him in gratitude.  The result is foolishness and darkness.  I'm afraid we are seeing more of this in our land in recent years.  I hope we, who identify ourselves as those who love the Lord, can reflect the living and true God in such a way that others will see Him and return to Him, and His dependable guidance.
 
blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment