Sunday, September 23, 2007

rest

Isn't it amazing what a night of rest can do for you, even if you were totally exhausted the night before?  Yesterday some great friends and family helped us move appliances and a storage room full of garage and household belongings.  Afterwards, Shirley and I worked for several more hours relocating items and setting up a new table.  The day had started about 5:30 am and ran until about midnight.  I was almost as tired as I was cranky.  But amazingly enough when I awoke this morning I felt fresh and restored and ready to go again.  I have a new laptop computer and it runs on a battery.  At the bottom of the screen a display tells me what percentage of energy remains in the battery, so I can know when to recharge.  If you could put the same kind of display on us you'd probably see the energy percentage drop from 100% when we get up to zero at bedtime.  So sleep is a lot like recharging our own battery.  There are times when we keep trying to push through fatigue, but it's good to remember that our physical limits are from the Lord, just as our physical strength. 
 
Psalm 127:2 It is vain for you to rise up early,
         To sit up late,
         To eat the bread of sorrows;
         For so He gives His beloved sleep.
 
blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment