Monday, October 15, 2007

The extended warranty plan

Recently I've bought several new appliances and pieces of electronic equipment.  The sales people almost always ask if I want to purchase an extended warranty plan.  It makes me wonder just how confident they are about the quality of my purchases.  I generally decline these offers and reason that I'll take my chances since I live in the "Total Quality" and "Process Improvement" generation.  But there's always an element of doubt as I wonder whether the item will prove to be a faithful and enduring performer or a problem waiting to happen.  (Sometimes you hear about items eerily breaking just after the guaranteed period ends.) 
 
It made me think about our important relationships.  When my wife and I married we were in our early 20's, and were short on money, wisdom and experience in just about every aspect of living.  Our marriage didn't come with an extended warranty plan to purchase...I don't remember one being offered when we bought our marriage license.  The glue that we had confidence in was bigger than us.  And then I thought about my relationship with the Lord.  I was moved to invite Him into my heart when I heard that it was "because of" my tendency to break down and fail that He came.  Somehow that quality of love that accepted me when I was broken has given me confidence that He'll never let go.
 
Romans 5:6-8 For when we were still without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.  For scarcely for a righteous man will one die; yet perhaps for a good man someone would even dare to die.  But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
 
blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment