Sunday, October 14, 2007

My father's tools

I've  been doing a lot of "new home" projects recently.  Over the weekend my engineer brother-in-law took the lead and I helped as we installed a microwave over a range and a few ceiling fans.  During the projects we found extra parts were sometimes needed and a variety of tools were called for.  At some point along the way I realized we were using screws and washers that my Dad had given me as well as his wire-stripper and a few of his pliers and screwdrivers.  It seemed very special that even though he died over 10 years ago, he was still helping me ... actually assisting me with the finishing touches on my new home!  He'll never come here, himself, but part of him...passed on after he was gone..is still very useful and practical.  The thought occurred to me that our lives have a "ripple effect", like a pebble tossed into a pond.  We may not know how our words, our actions, our consistency and example, our advice and our influence will affect this present world, while we're here, and the future world that may lay beyond our lifetimes.  Just as my Dad's hand tools and hardware are still being put to good use, so will the lives we impact today affect others tomorrow and in decades ahead. 
 
Proverbs 4: 1 Listen, my sons, to a father's instruction;
       pay attention and gain understanding.

 2 I give you sound learning,
       so do not forsake my teaching.

 3 When I was a boy in my father's house,
       still tender, and an only child of my mother,

 4 he taught me and said,
       "Lay hold of my words with all your heart;
       keep my commands and you will live.

blessings,

Rob Smith

http://2daysthought.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment