Saturday, November 10, 2007

Mountains are challenging

This weekend I'm on a Men's Retreat up in Wintergreen on a mountain.  I've come to realize that everything about a mountain is challenging.  On level ground you follow any one of four directions: North, South, East, or West.  On a mountain there are only two directions: Up and Down.  The problem is that each direction on a mountain is challenging.  This afternoon I attempted to go on a hike, that turned into mostly a climb.  I had to turn back as my legs and lungs weren't in adequate condition.  Then I had the challenge of going down the slippery leaf covered rocks.  At one point I thought to myself..."Here I am on a mountain top and the only thing I'm looking at are my two feet (so I wouldn't stumble)".  But there is something exciting and wondrous about being on the mountain.  This morning we awoke to a few inches of snow!  What a beautiful blanket it formed!  The challenge of being on the mountain this weekend parallels the challenge of walking with our God.  Whether life goes hard uphill or fast and easy on the way down, we need the protection of the Lord and we sense His hands holding us each step of the way!
 
Psalm 18:36 Thou hast enlarged my steps under me, that my feet did not slip.
 
blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment