Friday, December 21, 2007

Is it really exercise?

 
Is it really exercise when you don't go anywhere?  That's the thought I had tonight as I cross-country skied for an hour to nowhere on my Nordic Track machine.  Based on the sweat and fatigue that accumulated it sure felt like a good workout...and I didn't have to pound any joints or brave cold temperatures.  Actually I'm sure the exercise counted and can only help my physical condition.  But sometimes I think we go through motions in our quest to follow the Lord that aren't fruitful.  You know, when we push our body we have real tangible measures like heart rate and body temperature and we can measure how fast and how long and how many repetitions we do things.  Over time we can see improvements in our health.  It may be worthwhile to consider how our spiritual exercises are drawing our heart closer, warming us to His presence and creating an increased desire to be with, and hear from, the Lord who loves us so.  Consider the words of the apostle Paul: 1 Corinthians 9:25 "Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. 26Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air."
 
blessings to all you heavy breathers,
Rob Smith
http://2daysthought.blogspot.com/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment