Monday, December 24, 2007

Weight Loss

I had been driving around with an expired driver's license for a few months (I know...I'm ashamed).  I just couldn't seem to get to the DMV when they were open and the one time I did go they told me I needed a birth certificate...so I had to go back.  Well, for a few months I carried a background fear that I might get stopped by the police and "discovered" as an unlicensed driver.  Finally, I was able to renew the license this weekend.  I can't tell you how relieved I've felt driving since then.  Several times I've had the thought: "OK, you can pull me over now...I'm legal enough to get a ticket".  I know that sounds silly, buy it really has been a relief to have this guilt resolved and this burden lifted.  In a sense, I'm reminded that when wrongs are made right in our lives we experience a spiritual "weight loss" and you really can feel the difference.  Can you remember the time you realized that Jesus had come to lift all your faults and sins from your bowed shoulders.  Wasn't it wonderful when you knelt before Him and asked Him to take away those weights?  Didn't you feel cleaner and lighter and truly free?  There will be a lot of post-holiday diets proposed this year and many New Year's weight loss resolutions but I don't think any of them can hold a candle to repentance and the release that comes from forgiveness!
 
John 8:36 Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed.
 
blessings (drive carefully everyone),
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment