Friday, January 18, 2008

Preparing for a landing

There is a term in economics called the "soft landing".  Here's how an investment dictionary defines it: "When the economy is growing at strong rate, the Fed will try to engineer a soft landing by raising interest rates enough to slow the economy down without putting it into recession."  (we're kind of going the opposite way economically at the moment!)
 
It occurred to me that as we move deeper into adulthood the Lord is preparing us for our own soft landing.  I think the blessing of getting older, seeing evidence of wear on our bodies and realizing that we are progressively more limited is that the Lord lets us know that we are one day going to shed this wrinkled garment and take on a new form of body.  Years ago, as a young person, it was very difficult to imagine the end of life...actually dying.  But now I see that God graciously prepares us for the next stage by making us aware to a greater and greater extent of our weakness.  In that sense, our weakness becomes a strength and opens the door for the Lord to lead us.
 
John 14:2 In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. 3And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.
 
blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment