Monday, March 3, 2008

life chasers

Doesn't it seem sometimes that we are chasing after life like you chase a piece of paper that blows out of your hands and across a parking lot.  The paper entices you, but as you draw close it dances with the wind just out of your reach.  We can look at life as a "wait until" sort of experience.  As in...life will get good when I finish school...get that job...find that girl...own that house/car/boat ...work hard for 40 years so we can do...nothing.  But it all becomes a mirage-like sort of thing because life seems to dance away from each of those just as we reach them.
 
Doesn't it seem that we somehow think that our best days always lie ahead...but what about today/now/here?  Can we not savor the flavor of the moment as it moves under our feet, in front of our eyes, between our ears, within our heart.  It hit me last night that I really don't have a clue what the next year/month/day/minute/moment holds....but what liberation!  That means I'm free to experience some kind of ongoing ultimate experience as I walk.  I think this is where we meet Jesus.  We won't find him as we try to peer into tomorrow, but if we settle into the moment, we may begin to sense His presence next to us....and if we really get comfortable with Him at our side, we may give Him our hand and let Him take us...just exactly where He'd like to go (might as well...He knows the way much better).  Turns out that I don't need to chase life...He chased me down long ago.
 
Philippians 4 (vs 10-12 Message version)  I've learned by now to be quite content whatever my circumstances. I'm just as happy with little as with much, with much as with little. I've found the recipe for being happy whether full or hungry, hands full or hands empty. Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am.
 
blessings (for now),
Rob Smith
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment