Tuesday, August 12, 2008

bow or yield

What is it about us that makes us think we are in control?  What is it about us that thinks we determine our lives?  What is it about us that causes us to live in constant denial, wanting to believe that life will always go on as it has in the past.  Somewhere inside we know that we have very little control and virtually no idea of what life holds for us, even beyond the present moment.  Somewhere inside we know that much greater forces exist than we control to direct the events and the impact of our lives.  Somewhere inside we know that life has been a progression from youth through adulthood, with change the only constant, and physical death an inevitability that we do not want to face.  This morning, I sat in the midst of one of God's gardens, on the edge of Richardson's Mill Pond, with fog lifting from the water like some kind of heavenly meringue.  I realized that I face one of two choices:  I can continue to work my own agenda and try to shove God into the background or I can willingly bow before Him and His plan.  There is unknown either way.  I don't know what my plans will achieve and I don't know what God has for me either. But it makes a lot more sense to rely on the one who placed me here.  After all, I'll either bow to His plan or yield to it as I suspect He will have the final word anyway! 
 
Psalm 95:6 Oh come, let us worship and bow down;
         Let us kneel before the LORD our Maker.
 7 For He is our God,
         And we are the people of His pasture,
         And the sheep of His hand.
 
blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment