Sunday, August 3, 2008

by still waters

There's just something about water that brings peace simply by gazing at it.  I've recently enjoyed visiting some of the many reservoirs, ponds and rivers in our area as I've driven local back roads.  I especially like the ponds.  Many of these were mill ponds that date back a few hundred years when water powered the machines that ground the wheat and corn grown in the local fields.  Today they are home to amazingly diverse and beautiful wildlife.  This morning, as I watched a string of geese paddle across one pond, I heard a splash behnd me.  I turned around to see three or four round, furry heads looking up at me from the water's surface.  They were otters!  As I thought about the peace of the pond waters, it occurred to me that a still pond is perfectly flat.  It is also dependably level.  Further, it's shiny surface reflects light almost as brilliantly as the source.  Perhaps the appeal of still waters comes from the parallels to our Lord (peaceful, dependably level, and full of light).  I think we like to be close to something that captures these qualities of our Heavenly Father.
 
Psalm 23:2-3 He makes me to lie down in green pastures;  He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my soul;
 
blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment