Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Goal Setting

Philippians 3:13-14 Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead,  I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
 
I've never been a very good "goal setter".  I remember my father asking me what my goals were when I was in high school.  I had to admit that I'd never thought about it!  I have always been more of a "go with the flow", spontaneous type of person.  I have known very effective goal setters and I have admired their ability to define "stretch" objectives for career and personal accomplishment.  So I think this is one of the things that divides the world into two camps: the goal setters and the non-goal setters.  But as I read the above passage this morning I thought about the one goal that all who love the Lord Jesus need to have.  Don't you love the goal of "the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus"?  If I want anything to be my goal...that's it!  The interesting thing about attaining this goal is that I need to forget my past...not dwell in it...and start fresh each day.  Finally...a goal that works for those of us who are spontaneous types!
 
blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment