Monday, August 25, 2008

new ways to move

One of the stories that touched my heart the most from the Olympics centered on South African swimmer Natalie du Toit.  She was a most unusual athlete.  One of her legs is missing as a result of a motor scooter accident back in 2001.  Already an accomplished swimmer before the accident, she was back in the pool within 4 months of losing her left leg at the knee.  She is the first amputee athlete to swim in final heats with able bodied athletes and she qualified this past spring to swim the 10 kilometer open ocean swim in Beijing with a fourth-place finish at the world championships in Spain this year, finishing only 5 seconds behind the winner.  She was the first disabled athlete to carry the flag for their country at the Olympic opening ceremonies.  One thing that struck me was her comment about the feeling she has in the water:  "When I take my (artificial) leg off and I'm completely free in the water," Natalie du Toit said, "that's who I am."  In the water the missing leg is not so important as on land.  She is supported by the water and can use the rest of her body to move at a world class level.  I am inspired to have a new view of setbacks...they may just be creating channels to succeed in a different medium.  When we are limited in one area there are unlimited opportunities to find new direction. 
 
Genesis 41:52 And the name of the second he called Ephraim: "For God has caused me to be fruitful in the land of my affliction."
 
blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment