Wednesday, August 20, 2008

the owner's manual

There were plusses and minuses to buying my car recently on EBAY.  I got a great financial deal and found just the car I wanted.  One minus was that the car came with no owner's manual.  This first surfaced as an issue when I was trying to figure out how to adjust the outside rearview mirrors.  Some family members suggested I try to reposition the mirrors manually but I was sure that there would be a button somewhere to do it.  Through the wonder of the internet I found my owner's manual online and downloaded it.  I found myself hungry to scan through the whole thing (200 plus pages)...to uncover all the exciting secrets of my dream car (and also locate the mirror controls).
This morning I read 2 Timothy 3:16-17 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.  I realized that I need to have the same hunger to read through God's Owner's Manual that I had to search out all the features of my car.  Just as the information about the rear view mirrors was buried inside the manual, so the answers to my specific life needs are in the Bible.  If I want to be "complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work" I need to be familiar with the entire Owner's Manual..not just my favorite sections and I can't leave the manual in the glove compartment!
 
blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment