Thursday, October 9, 2008

obligation, routine or choice

It occurred to me this morning that there are three reasons that we go to church on Sunday: obligation, routine or choice.  Obligation says that by attending a worship service we really are doing what we ought to satisfy the Lord.  It reflects some sort of "ticket punching".  It also is a simplistic view of what it means to have a relationship with the Lord.  The obligation kind of relationship would be like the kind of relationship you have with a toll booth operator, who expects you to pay a fee so you can go on your way.  Routine says that because it is Sunday I should go to church.  I don't have to think about why or what or who...I am going because that's what I do on Sunday.  The routine approach makes our relationship with the Lord very much like our relationship with our trash pickup which says, "It's Tuesday morning so I need to roll the big green container out to the street".  This is really a non-relationship.  The right reason is to choose to be in church, just as we choose to carry Him in our minds and hearts through the week.  On Sunday we want to celebrate that kind of 24/7 relationship.  In fact I suppose Sunday is an opportunity to honor the One whom we enjoy daily.
 
Proverbs 7:15 So I came out to meet you,
      Diligently to seek your face,
      And I have found you.
 
blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment