Sunday, November 30, 2008

Focus

Yesterday I had a minor car accident.  I rarely have been involved in car accidents but I set myself up with a poor choice of "focus".  I was on the cell phone with a family member discussing a problem that I had unintentionally caused.  I found my pride, my mind and my total focus drawn into the conversation...the next thing I knew I heard a "thump" and I realized that I'd hit the car in front of me at a stop sign!  The cell phone went flying, along with a full cup of soda.  I pulled ahead and walked back to the car I'd hit.  Fortunately there was virtually no damage to his bumper and no one was hurt.  The other driver was very kind.  My car suffered damage to the front bumper...which I had just had repaired from clipping my garage recently.  I've "replayed the tape" a number of times now in my mind and have come to the following conclusions: (1) talking on the cell phone requires a lot of concentration and focus by itself and (2) when we're discussing a problem that we're personally involved in our pride and emotions are involved and this also commands our focus and (3) driving a car requires and demands total focus to ensure safe travel.  I suppose my spiritual thought has to do with my focus on the Lord.  I have found that when I am busy with many activities it is hard to really consider the Lord, or to listen to Him.  And life is busy by its very nature.  I can't even jog and focus properly on Him...my body wants my attention too.  But if I slow down and look up and listen and then look in and give Him my focus, I can feel His presence, learn from Him and hopefully avoid accidents! (By the way, my cell phone will be off in the car from now on!)

Matthew 6: 6 "Here's what I want you to do: Find a quiet, secluded place so you won't be tempted to role-play before God. Just be there as simply and honestly as you can manage. The focus will shift from you to God, and you will begin to sense his grace."

blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment