Sunday, November 2, 2008

Importance of the path

Recently, my wife and I were led on a hike by our two nephews in Colorado.  We wound our way up a moutain named "Flattop" in the Rocky Mountain National Park.  Although time didn't permit us to reach the peak, we did make it above the treeline, at about 11,500 feet and the view from there was spectacular.  This was mountain climbing in a style that we could enjoy...no ropes, metal devices to jam into rocks, and no "near death" experiences on narrow ledges.  We followed a well managed trail that had just enough slope to provide a decent workout.  Along the way I considered the role of the "path".  We didn't have to figure out how to get to the top of the mountain because the trail led us there...just by staying on it.  We still had plenty to think about.  Every foot placement had to be made carefully in many areas and we found ourselves looking down at the ground right in front of us more than we looked at grand views, until we neared the top.  I remembered that the Lord promised to make my "paths straight" and to be a "light to my path".  Perhaps most importantly, we learn from Psalm 16:11 that he would make known  the "path of life".  So, the path is both challenge and destination.  I had complete trust that the path would lead me up and return me to safety at the bottom even though I'd never walked there before.  Perhaps this can be summed up by John 14:6 where Jesus said to Thomas "I am the way, the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but through me.
I see that the Path is Jesus.

blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment