Friday, November 21, 2008

Near and far

I spend almost my entire work day peering into a computer screen.  This is my window on work and the world.  The computer makes it possible to obtain information and carry out many necessary tasks.  However, it occurred to me this morning that I spend most of my day looking at something that is less than three feet away!  Every so often I need to look out the window and focus on a cloud, a bird or something else farther away than three feet.  I'm sure that it is healthy for our eyes to shift our focus from the "near" to the "far".  Having a focus spiritually that moves out to Heaven and the eternity that lies beyond our lives may also help counterbalance and give perspective to daily living, where it can seem that we're always looking "three feet away".   Perhaps this is why it is so important to have it 'established' in our hearts that we are the Lord's and the Lord is ours...and that the hope of Heaven is absolutely certain.  If we carry the greatest hope in our hearts then the problems of daily living look a little smaller.  I suppose that is why it is important to shift our vision to Heaven frequently during the day.

Ecclesiastes 3:9 What profit has the worker from that in which he labors? 10 I have seen the God-given task with which the sons of men are to be occupied. 11 He has made everything beautiful in its time. Also He has put eternity in their hearts, except that no one can find out the work that God does from beginning to end. 12 I know that nothing is better for them than to rejoice, and to do good in their lives, 13 and also that every man should eat and drink and enjoy the good of all his labor—it is the gift of God.

blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment