Tuesday, November 11, 2008

quarters in His pocket

I glanced at the change I'd been carrying in my pocket yesterday and noticed several quarters of varying age and wear.  A few of them were quite new with pictures of states on the back and the oldest dated back to 1972.  Of course they were each worth the same 25 cents, no matter when they were minted.  The new ones were shiny with the stamped images sharply etched and the old ones duller and smoother due to wear.  Admittedly, my relationship with these coins is very temporary.  They probably touch the hands of thousands of people across their lives.  Each time they change hands they fulfill their purpose and transfer worth in exchange for needs to be met.  In a sense, they must be exchanged or "lost" by the owner to be useful.  Sometimes coins are taken out of circulation.  They may have a defect that has made them very rare.  Ironically, that very flaw has only increased their value and are more highly prized by collectors.
Yes, as I considered the quarters in my pocket I realized that we are just like  quarters in the Lord's pocket.  Some of us carry more wear than others but we all have the same value stamped on us.  As we move through life we experience many relationships and interactions and we seem to really show our value in the exchanges of life.  Some of us have handicaps or disabilities that may seem limitations...but in the Lord's eyes add a special worth.

Luke 15:8 "Or what woman, having ten silver coins, if she loses one coin, does not light a lamp, sweep the house, and search carefully until she finds it? 9 And when she has found it, she calls her friends and neighbors together, saying, 'Rejoice with me, for I have found the piece which I lost!' 10 Likewise, I say to you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents."

blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment