Wednesday, December 24, 2008

anticipating Christmas

The greatest excitement I have ever known came as I anticipated Christmas on Christmas Eve.  My parents put up the tree after we went to bed, decorated it and then arranged all the gifts beneath and around the tree.  Stockings were stuffed and hung on the fireplace too.  When my sisters and I awoke and came downstairs, the house had been transformed and we were in awe and wonder.  It wasn't hard to believe in Santa when that was our experience as youngsters.  The greatest fulfillment I have had as an adult was when I realized that God is real and that He wanted to personally lift my burdens and dwell in my heart.  The day I accepted Jesus as my savior I was transformed and my heart was filled with awe and wonder as I became aware of His presence.  This morning it occurred to me that we have the daily opportunity of "anticipating Christmas" as we await Jesus' return.  No one knows when that might be...it could be today.  In another sense, we anticipate Jesus' showing up each day in the midst of our thoughts, our problems, our family, our work...our individual lives.  He has promised never to leave us...it's a thrill to look for His presence today!  It is Christmas Eve and we are anticipating Christmas tomorrow.  But we can anticipate Christ every day.
 
Song of Solomon (Message version)  6:11-12
One day I went strolling through the orchard,
   looking for signs of spring,
Looking for buds about to burst into flower,
   anticipating readiness, ripeness.
Before I knew it my heart was raptured,
   carried away by lofty thoughts!
 
blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment