Monday, December 29, 2008

familiarity

As I have enjoyed several Advent and Christmas services in recent weeks, I have also enjoyed many of the old hymns: "O Little Town of Bethlehem, Joy to the World, It Came Upon a Midnight Clear, Silent Night" and a number of others.  It occurred to me that, apart from the beauty of the lyrics and the melodies, there is comfort in the familiarity I have with these songs.  Like old friends, they visit faithfully each year to bring the warmth of memories and reassurance that the joys of Christmas have been renewed.  Within a few notes these songs link us with Christmases across the centuries and we are reminded that the Christ of Christmas came for all generations.  In a sense we are celebrating with all those who have gone before as we share the same words and the same melody they knew.  I am reminded that there is great comfort also in knowing that the Jesus we adore today is the same, living Lord, who has been known and loved by all who have gone before.  He was born two thousand years ago but renews His bond with each generation.  I believe that as we look intently to the Lord each morning and quiet our hearts we will also experience the familiarity of His presence.  Knowing Jesus is like singing an eternal hymn, beautiful for its melody and beautiful for His familiarity.
 
Psalm 118:14 The LORD is my strength and song,
         And He has become my salvation.
 
blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment