Wednesday, December 24, 2008

virus

This is the time of year when many of us catch some kind of cold or flu virus.  I'm not sure why this happens every winter.  Unfortunately, these bugs can show up at the worst times over the holidays.  About a week ago, my computer caught a virus.  Just like the human sickness, this computer virus was contracted in some mysterious way.  I must have clicked on something that triggered the intruder to get into my operating system.  My computer virus was clever.  It had the appearance of a computer security service and announced that I had a number of other "bugs" that needed to be eliminated if I would only buy their service.  It was obvious that this was an unwanted visitor and I had no interest in paying for the service...but I had a very hard time finding and eliminating the intruder.  Every few minutes, as I tried to do real work on my computer, an unwanted sales pitch would pop up.  It was very distracting and I was beginning to feel very ill.  Fortunately we know a skilled computer professsional who was able to log on to my computer from long distance.  He diagnosed the computer illness and eliminated it because he had the know-how.  I think the worst part of the virus were all the unknowns:  "How did I get it?", "How can I get rid of it?", "What other damage might this cause?"  I thought about other problems that come my way in life.  Often I don't know why they have surfaced.  I may have done the wrong thing, but I'm not always clear what that was.  There is a good chance that I don't know how to solve the problem and there may be much frustration, as a result.  Fortunately I know a skilled eternal companion who can look into my personal operating system, identify the bug and eliminate it.  It's likely that there will be a lesson or two associated with the whole process as well. 

Psalm 6:2 Have mercy on me, O LORD, for I am weak;
         O LORD, heal me, for my bones are troubled.

blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment