Wednesday, February 4, 2009

my father's coat

This morning I was hopeful of snow.  But instead there was a brisk wintry day that had all the cold of snow without the benefits (for those of us who like snow, that is).  I wore my long wool coat to work.  In Virginia I don't feel the need to wear my warmest coat often.  It just doesn't compare to the Michigan or New Jersey winters I knew growing up.  But this is a special coat.  It is made of cashmere wool and though it is very warm, it is also quite light and very comfortable.  But more than that, it was my father's coat.  It is one of a few things that I have from my father.  With a little tailoring it now fits me just fine.  It seems that all of the things Dad left me are useful, from hand tools, to jars of nuts and bolts, a shop vacuum cleaner...and this great coat.  Dad died 12 years ago but the coat looks as good now is it did when he was still active.  When I wear the coat I think of him and I feel close to him.  I was reminded that my heavenly father also left a coat for me.  It's also very warm and it fits perfectly.  My heavenly coat covers me completely and looks as new as it ever has.  When I think about this spiritual coat, I remember the great love that my heavenly father has for me.  It seems that everything that He has given me is useful...especially this elegant heavenly coat.  Just as my wool coat fits perfectly and covers my vulnerable frame, so does Jesus cover my flaws and make me acceptable to the Father in Heaven...the one with whom I shall live forever.
 
Isaiah 61:10 I will greatly rejoice in the LORD,
      My soul shall be joyful in my God;
      For He has clothed me with the garments of salvation,
      He has covered me with the robe of righteousness,
      As a bridegroom decks himself with ornaments,
      And as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.
 
blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment