Monday, March 16, 2009

Onward Christian Shoulders

So I was thinking on the way home about all the modern conveniences I enjoy on a daily basis: electricity, computers, my car, cell phones, central heat and indoor plumbing (I guess this was modern a little while ago!).  Then I thought about the fact that I had absolutely nothing to do with the invention or development of any of these.  I am able to "stand on the shoulders" of very bright, innovative and enterprising people who have added layer upon layer of technological advance resulting in all of these amenities.  If I were assigned the task of inventing a ball point pen, a pocket knife or even a good screwdriver I'd fall woefully short.  Then I realized that I stand on the shoulders of wonderful Believers in the Lord Jesus when it comes to my daily walk with the Lord.  Faithful disciples, starting with the original eleven plus Paul, countless scribes who tirelessly copied scripture, evangelists who have carried the Gospel around the world and handed down the Good News to the next generation, martyrs who preferred death in this dimension rather than deny the God of the eternal dimension, a faithful friend who courageously shared the simple plan of salvation with me through scriptures that pierced my heart.  I wouldn't be a follower of Jesus were it not for the faithfulness of all who have gone before.  It was a sobering reminder that there are others who lie ahead, some unborn at this point, who will need our faithfulness to find the Truth.  In a very real way we stand on the strong shoulders of those who have gone before.
 
Psalm 100:5 For the LORD is good;
         His mercy is everlasting,
         And His truth endures to all generations.
 
blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment