Wednesday, June 24, 2009

a creek by the roadside

Another gorgeous early summer morning has washed over us today.  As I strolled down a familiar country lane it was comforting to be guarded by the wall of tall trees on either side with a track of brilliant blue sky returning my upward gaze.  As I enjoyed the company of our Lord, I noticed a creek and a wetland area off to the side of the road.  I had driven past this spot many times but had never noticed why guardrails were located there.  Walking up to the rails I peered down to a lovely curving line of water surrounded by lush foliage and bordered by land sloping down like a frame.  I never would have found this beautiful spot if I hadn't been walking with no purpose other than to enjoy a quiet time of reflection.  I was reminded that life can be very hurried and one day following another we can become prisoners of routine, missing beauty that is apparent when we take a different path, slow our pace and give ourselves a chance to discover fresh beauty, that lies all around us.  I think this is an apt picture of how it is to enjoy the Lord's company.  He seems to delight in revealing the beauty and the truth that surrounds us, but that somehow often escapes us.
 
 Psalm 85:13 Righteousness will go before Him,
         And shall make His footsteps our pathway.
 
blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment