Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Posted: No Trespassing

A large area of wooded land surrounding our development is owned by a Hunt Club.  On a number of the trees they have nailed small signs that say "Posted: No Trespassing" and they name the particular Hunt Club as well.  If the signs weren't there I suppose some hunters who didn't belong to the club might venture onto this property.  I doubt that there would be great interest to the general public to stroll through the remote and rugged terrain.  I've always thought it interesting that a sign nailed to a tree also has to say "Posted"...that seems pretty self-evident but I guess legal language surfaces everywhere.  I was struck with the thought this morning, as I passed a number of these signs walking on the adjoining street, that I am not trespassing in my morning walk with the Lord.  In fact, He encourages you and me to come through His gates and walk His land.  He even wants to accompany us as we step along.  In contrast to the Hunt Club members, He beckons others to enter His Kingdom.  The word "trespass" comes from two old French words that mean "to pass beyond or across".  It later took on a legal meaning used to identify barriers.  I'm glad that because of Jesus' life and His perfect obedience even to death I am able to "pass beyond and across" the sin barrier of my own nature.  So we are able, and encouraged, to cross into His land.  All this because one day, long ago, Jesus was posted on a tree that is lifted up for all to see:  a sign that we may trespass with Him.
 
Colossians 2:13 And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses
 
blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment