Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Water walking

Matthew 14:28 And Peter answered Him and said, "Lord, if it is You, command me to come to You on the water."
29 So He said, "Come." And when Peter had come down out of the boat, he walked on the water to go to Jesus.
 
This morning I visited a nearby pond...so peaceful in the new day.   A heron flapped gracefully over the water to a new fishing perch.  The water was mirror-like, except for a surprising fish that broke the surface with a sudden noise and telltale ripples that followed.  I thought about that day, long ago, when Peter asked the Lord to invite him out on the water.  It doesn't seem remarkable to me that Jesus was strolling on top of the water...after all, He is God.  But how amazing that a man, like me, could do so...  And then I realized that walking on the water isn't just a one-time miracle.  It is necessary for each of us to come to Jesus on the water.  When Peter stepped out of the boat, He was walking on faith more than on water.  Faith is trust.  When we step out of our homes and into our day we also must walk in total trust that Jesus is there, as well.  We can sink, also, like Peter when we doubt and when we rely on our own ability alone.  I think I'll join Peter on the water today and keep my head up, with eyes of trust on Jesus.  He's not far away.
 
blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment