Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Homeless!

A friend shared a touching story with me recently of how she had been moved years ago to invite a homeless woman she'd seen on the streets of a major city into her home.  She offered a shower, food and clothing.  She even gave this woman a pedicure!  What a wonderful demonstration of love!  I thought about the reaction I have when I see a homeless person...often wandering in filthy clothes with a small bag of possessions. It is not nearly as noble as my friend's response.  I may feel sadness but rarely am I moved to action.  This morning it struck me that all those around us who do not yet know Jesus as their Lord are homeless for eternity.  I have a home in Heaven and am confident it awaits me for an eternal dwelling.  But how many around me do not have this hope!  In a sense millions of folks all around us, rich and poor, are Homeless!  May the Lord help us to care for these people, like my friend, in such a way that they might see the reality of God in our hearts and find His invitation to the eternal Home.
 
John 14:23 Jesus answered and said to him, "If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him.
 
2 Corinthians 5:1 For we know that if our earthly house, this tent, is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. 6 So we are always confident, knowing that while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord.
 
blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment