Friday, November 20, 2009

fruit that remains

Recently my interest in classical music has increased a bit.  I find it  peasant to have playing in the background, at low volume, while I work.  Somehow it isn't distracting like other music...in fact I think it may help with concentration.  As music is introduced, the announcer generally provides a short introduction of the composer and the background of the work.  Names like Bach, Beethoven, and Mozart spring up among others.  It occurred to me that most of these composers lived hundreds of years ago and yet I am the beneficiary of their composition today.  They died centuries before I was born but their work remains.  I thought of John chapter 15 where Jesus was giving His final teaching to the disciples before going to the garden of Gethsemane.  He spoke a great deal of the relationship we are intended to have with Him.  And He used the picture of fruit as a picture of the outcome from a healthy relationship. 
 
John 15:16 "You did not choose Me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit, and that your fruit should remain, that whatever you ask the Father in My name He may give you."
 
I am challenged and excited about the possibility we have of doing work, something like the composers of centuries past, that will remain.  I believe "remain" has two important qualities.  Work that remains may continue on earth after we depart and work that remains may continue to echo throughout eternity.
 
blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment