Tuesday, December 8, 2009

anatomy of a disaster

I read the Old Testament book of Lamentations this morning (short...only 5 chapters).  It really is more like a very sad poem than a book.  Apparently, Jeremiah was moved to recount the great sadness he felt as Jerusalem was levelled and its people carted away.  It is apparent, as you read, that Jeremiah realized that this dramatic turn of events was not only orchestrated by God...it was intended for their ultimate good.  But as I considered the anatomy of the great sin that had caused God's wrath to fall so heavily, it occurred to me that it all started with a widespread case of "ignoring God".  As the people of Jerusalem had ceased to think about God, they then had found it fairly to ignore Him and His direction for their lives.  And the natural progression led them to follow their own ways.  All this took place while they had the trappings of God in His awesome temple in their immediate presence as a daily physical reminder.  Of course the obvious application emerged that I need to start with my level of awareness of the Lord, when I consider the quality of my walk with Him.  If I am not thinking about Him, seeing Him in His handiwork, appreciating Him as I interact with others then I am likely to ignore His direction for my life, personally.  This morning I am reminded that God is not hard to find...He's waiting for my attention to be directed to Him!
 
Lamentations 3:24 I say to myself, "The LORD is my portion;
       therefore I will wait for him."

 25 The LORD is good to those whose hope is in him,
       to the one who seeks him;

 26 it is good to wait quietly
       for the salvation of the LORD.

 

blessings,

Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment