Thursday, December 17, 2009

beneath the surface

This morning I had a good time with the Lord, visiting portions of Proverbs, John and Luke.  I loved reading in John about the promised coming of the Holy Spirit that Jesus explained would follow His departure to Heaven and how it was actually good for us that Jesus leave, so that all the world could experience His touch through the Holy Spirit.  I was fascinated to read the story of Zechariah, the father of John the Baptist, and how he couldn't talk at all from the time he doubted the angel's promise until the birth of his son.  I thought about how awkward and frustrating it must have been for his wife to go all through this extraordinary pregnancy and for her husband not to be able to easily converse or encourage her.  After reading, I stepped to the edge of my favorite pond and looked out over the glassy surface...that communicates peace and reflects light...and I thought about all the life below the surface of the pond.  I know there are fish and turtles and some otters there, among other wiggly critters.  It made me consider how we, as people, can be like the pond's surface.  Apparently smooth and peaceful...if we get under the surface that's where we find life and that's where we find issues.  It was far too cold to explore below the surface of my pond but I suspect we all need to consider how we can touch the life below the surface of those around us...perhaps by revealing the life swimming about in our own lives.
 
from 1 Corinthians 2:6-7 (The Message)  God's wisdom is something mysterious that goes deep into the interior of his purposes. You don't find it lying around on the surface. It's not the latest message, but more like the oldest—what God determined as the way to bring out his best in us, long before we ever arrived on the scene.
 
blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment