Sunday, March 28, 2010

living in the middle ages

I suppose that times are tough no matter what era of history you live during.  Of course there are many great things about living now, with the advanced state of medical knowledge we have and with all the great technology that connects us to knowledge, news and each other.  But recent reflections have caused me to realize that I live in the middle ages in the 21st century.  I now have seen 57 Christmases.  I have memories that trace back 1/2 a century but seem like they occurred just a few years ago.  I am in the middle of life, rapidly heading deep into the final quarter of the game.  These are the middle ages because I am enjoying children and grandchildren coming after me while also being blessed with the presence of my vigorous Mom and several Aunts and Uncles in the generation ahead.  It is a great time because I have been through many battles, made many mistakes, realized all mountains won't be conquered (but don't need to be) and most of my time outside of work I can hang out with the woman who has shared all this and continues to walk with me.  It is the middle of life...the middle ages...and yet eternity beckons and our excitement is building for the forever-time that lies just ahead.  And we are sure of this one thing:...that we will be with the Lord.  So, in a sense, we aren't even near the middle...we're just lacing up our sneakers and stepping up to the starting line.  You know, the folks who lived in the Middle Ages didn't know they were in the Middle Ages.  They were living in the most modern times up to that time.  And we who are living in these middle ages, who have put our trust in Jesus, do well to remember that we really are living in two times at the same time.  We are living Now and we are living Forever.  You may be earlier in the game...you may be deeper in the game...you may be with us in the middle ages.  My hope is that you have come out of the Dark Ages and met the King of the Ages!
 
Isaiah 25:6 But here on this mountain, God-of-the-Angel-Armies will throw a feast for all the people of the world, A feast of the finest foods, a feast with vintage wines, a feast of seven courses, a feast lavish with gourmet desserts. And here on this mountain, God will banish the pall of doom hanging over all peoples, The shadow of doom darkening all nations. Yes, he'll banish death forever. And God will wipe the tears from every face. He'll remove every sign of disgrace From his people, wherever they are. Yes! God says so!

 

blessings (from the middle ages to all who embrace life forever in Jesus),

Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment