Thursday, April 8, 2010

turkey flight

Yesterday, as I was leaving for work, I passed a wild turkey on the side of the road.  I've seen him before and I'm always struck with his size.  He must have been about 3 feet from head to tail feathers and looked to weigh a good 30 pounds.  Unlike most birds, which look "flight-ready" even when they are perched on a branch or strutting on the ground, the turkey looked anything but capable of lifting off the surface under his own power.  But as I approached my feathered friend I tapped on my car horn to see what he'd do.  There was a twitch of the neck, a reluctant ruffling of feathers and then large outstretched wings pulled him up into the air and, I believe, into a tree somewhere above.  I was amazed to consider that this ungainly creature could fly.  We, too, may feel too large and ungainly to fly.  We may not think we can lift off the earth, spiritually, and really connect with our Lord.  We may not feel that we can carry out "spiritual matters".  But, even though there is a personal sense of awkwardness with our faith, we were designed for eternal tasks that lift us from a mere earthly existence.  There is a God to know and to make known.  There is eternity to be spent in Heaven or Hell.  There are great purposes we were intended to find that go well beyond the mundane and far beyond the survival and satisfactions of self.  We may actually be awkward when it comes to flying in the spirit, but, with the Lord's presence we were made for it!
 
Psalm 64:9-10 Everyone sees it. God's
      work is the talk of the town.
   Be glad, good people! Fly to God!
      Good-hearted people, make praise your habit.
 
blessings,
Rob Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment